It is generally seen that most of the students think that computer means either desktop computer or laptop computer. Computers can be of many types. Sometimes the things that we do not consider to be computers are also computers such as calculators, microwaves, digital cameras etc.
Friends, today the world is becoming digital, in which the use of computers is increasing day by day, whether it is school or college or any government office, computer is being used in full swing everywhere.
In such a situation, it has become necessary for everyone to know about computers. Today I am going to tell you some basic information about computer in this article.
What is Computer?
Computer is an electronic data processing machine that takes data as input from the user, then saves that data and then processes that saved data and gives the result to the user as output.
Let us understand this with an example-:
Suppose you want to sum any two numbers in the computer, then for this you have to enter two numbers in the computer, then the computer will take those two numbers and add them and then whatever result will come, it will show you in your computer screen.
In this whole process, the two numbers that you put in the computer, it is called Input, then the sum of those two numbers was done by the computer, it is called Process, after that the result shown to you in the computer screen is the output.
Computers can process both numerical and non-numerical (arithmetic and logical) calculations very easily.
The computer runs according to the programs already written, the computer has its own memory in which data, programs, process results are all saved.
The physical parts of the computer like Wire, Transistors, Circuits, Hard Disks are all called hardware and the programs, applications inside the computer are all called software.
Computers were built to run applications and solve many difficulties through hardware and software.
The word computer is derived from the Latin word “computare” which means “calculation”.
It is believed that the first computer was the Analytical Engine, which was invented by Charles Babbage in 1837, so Charles Babbage is also known as the Father of Computer or the inventor of the computer.
But even before Charles Babbage built the Analytical Engine, the work of computer development was going on. As a result of which many advanced computers came into existence.
Let’s know how the computer was developed?
How did the Computer Develop?
In ancient times, when people did not have much facilities and people used to make their living by hunting, then if people had to calculate something, then sticks, stones and bones were used.
As time passed, people’s brain also started developing and they also developed many machines to calculate.
It is believed that the development of computer started with the invention of Abacus. It was invented by Tim Cranmer. After Abacus, Napier’s Bones computer was invented and then came Slide Rule Computers.
In this way, with the passage of time, new computer technologies started coming into existence.
What is the Definition of Computer?
“Computer is an electronic device which will take some input, process and give output” then any device, if it fulfills these four conditions then it is a computer.
It is generally seen that most of the students think that computer means either desktop computer or laptop computer. Computers can be of many types. Sometimes the things that we do not consider to be computers are also computers.
Like a computer, it is also a computer because it is an electronic device, it also has some input, processing and output.
The Laptop Computer and Desktop Computer that we talk about is a General Purpose Computer, we are able to do all kinds of work in these computers.
In this we can also play games, edit photos, listen to songs, even do programming, so all these are general purpose computers.
But there are some computers which are made to do some specific work like washing machine, that is also a computer, if it has microprocessor chip, then it will also work according to the pre-determined command, microwave is also a computer. Yes, a digital camera is also a computer.
These are all electronic devices, they have a chip, it is an electronic circuit and it has input, processing takes place and output comes. So all these are also a computer.
What are the Basic Parts of a Computer?
Processor -: It executes the instructions of hardware and software. It is also called CPU (Central Processing Unit). This is the brain of the computer.
Memory -: This is the primary memory which acts as a data transfer between the CPU and the storage.
Motherboard -: This is the main part of the computer that keeps the rest of the computer connected.
Storage Device -: It stores the data permanently in the computer such as hard disk.
Input Device -: It helps the user or user to input into the computer such as keyboard.
Output Device -: It helps to show output to the user such as monitor.
These were some basic parts of the computer, without which the computer cannot work.
How many types of computers are there?
Computer can be divided into several parts based on different criteria such as (capacity of computer, size of computer) to handle data.
On the basis of size, the computer is divided into five parts -:
- Micro Computer
- Mini Computer
- Mainframe Computer
Features of Computer
Following are the characteristics of computer:-
- High Speed
- Storage Capacity
- Reduction in Paperwork and Cost
1. High Speed
- Computer is very fast machine.
- Computers are capable of computing very large amounts of data.
- Computer Millions of Calculations can do a lot of work in a very short time.
- Apart from being fast, the computer is also very accurate.
- The calculation done by the computer is 100% correct, the error is negligible.
- The computer works with 100% accuracy if the user inputs it correctly.
3. Storage Capacity
- Computer can store large amount of data which is the biggest feature of computer.
- Inside the computer, we can store many types of data such as – images, videos, texts, audios, files etc.
- A computer can store a large amount of data compared to a human.
- Computer never gets tired like us humans.
- Computer can work continuously without stopping, without getting tired and without any error and boredom.
- Computers can perform one or more tasks continuously with great accuracy and at the same speed.
- Computer is a very flexible machine, it is very easy to operate.
- A computer is a machine that is used to solve a variety of problems in various fields.
- Sometimes it is used in calculations and sometimes it is used in playing games.
- Computers are reliable machines because of their huge storage capacity and accuracy.
- Computers are designed to make everyday tasks easier.
- Computer is an automatic machine.
- The computer performs all its functions automatically. This means that once the computer has started a task, it does the work without any human intervention till it is completed.
8. Reduction in Paperwork and Cost
- Computers are used to reduce paper work in big companies.
- There are many such work which can cost more money over time if done by the employees, but getting the same work done by computer saves time and money.
Despite all these characteristics, there are also some limitations of computers, let us know about these limitations of computers.
Limitation Of Computer
- No Intelligence
- No Feeling
Advantages of Computer
- Increases your productivity
- Connects to the Internet
- Organized Data and Information
- Improves your abilities
- Assist the physically challenged
- Keeps you entertained
Computer has now become an important part of our life. There are many things in our daily life for which we depend on the computer. Some common examples are as follows:
ATM (Automated teller machine) – : When you are withdrawing money from ATM then you are using a computer that enables you to give instructions to the ATM and withdraw cash accordingly.
Digital Currency -: The computer keeps a record of the transactions in your account and your balance and stores the money deposited in your bank account in the form of digital record or digital currency in the bank.
Trading -: Use of computer for day to day trading in stock market. There are many advanced algorithms based on computers that handle business without the involvement of humans.
Smartphone -: The smartphone we use throughout the day for making calls, sending text messages, browsing is itself a computer.
VoIP -: All the voice over IP communication (VoIP) is handled by the computer.
Interesting facts about Computer
Some interesting facts about the computer are as follows:
- ENIAC, which is considered to be the first electronic computer, weighed more than 27 tons and was 1800 square feet in size.
- You can easily write “TYPEWRITER” which is the longest word by using only one row of text on the keyboard of computer.
- Did you know that the first computer mouse was made of wood? Which was made by Doug Engelbart around 1964.
- More than 5000 new computer viruses are released every month in the world.
- You must have heard the names of HP, Microsoft and Apple, a very common interesting thing between these companies is that all were started in a garage.
- The original name of Windows was Interface Manager.
- The first microprocessor made by Intel was “4004”. It was designed for a calculator.
- A man blinks normally 20 times a minute on an average, but he blinks only 7 times a minute while using a computer.
- The first word spoken on the Internet is “lo”. Actually, the word was “Login”, but the computer crashed after two characters.
- Windows OS does not allow us to create folders named CON, PRN, AUX, or NUL as these are DOS reserved keywords.
- A group of 12 engineers designed the IBM PC.
Let us now know about some of the most frequently asked questions.